Thursday, January 19, 2017

I Lost my Mojo. Now What?

            Everyone has a reason why they run.  When you stray away from or forget what that reason is, you might feel a bit lost.  I think runners experience burnout for a variety of reasons. I’m certainly not the expert in runner motivation, but I can share what happened to me.
When I decided to run a marathon in every state, I didn’t intend to do it all within just a few years.  I wanted to spend a good amount of time visiting the state I was in and exploring places that I had previously only seen on TV.  What happened was that I ended up wanting to complete the goal without truly appreciating the process.  Instead of looking at completion of each state as a separate part of the goal, I took on the whole goal as one item. 
              Early in the journey, I planned for specific places to visit in each state and looked for the best places to eat. I tried to find something unique about each state and took my time with the planning.  So many aspects of my journey changed once I met more people who were on a similar schedule.  I then changed my goals to meet up with others who were achieving great things.  I strayed from my own plans and drifted into the realm of doing what others were doing. I think this is the first step that led me astray.  I used to enjoy traveling alone, making unique plans that simply catered to what I wanted to do.  Once I began to involve others in my plans, and tried to mimic their goals, it took away from what I was doing for myself.


              I realized that I felt the most happiness when I took time to explore unique places, and when I finished with a fast time.  I loved taking pictures of wildlife, checking out the roadside attractions, monuments, or museums. Taking the time to do all those things is nearly impossible if your goal is to get in and out of as many states as possible within a short amount of time.  Your plans change so that you spend less money on hotels and flights.  If you’re anything like me, you hate spending time in limbo, so you are willing to spend more to have less travel time.  This was especially tricky for me since I am frugal, but also impatient.                
              Don’t get me wrong, I love and truly cherish the new friendships that I’ve made in the process.  I now have a solid group of friends who support my crazy ideas, and keep me on track.  We have shared many hotel rooms, rental cars, meals and flights.  There’s nothing I regret about creating those bonds.  Looking back, the races in which I had the least amount of fun (after I met friends) were the ones in which I traveled alone.  I think the purpose of the trip changed so dramatically from my original goal that there wasn’t anything left for me to enjoy.  I had a very short trip, didn’t take time to sight-see, and ran a slow race, all by myself. 

From this 50 states journey, I learned that to keep enjoying the sport that you love, you must:
-determine why you started in the first place
-stay true to yourself throughout the process
-If your goals change, be sure to include the reason why you started as a central element 


No comments:

Post a Comment